It’s hard to believe that Mean Girls came out in 2004 because it’s still just as relevant today. The movie’s hilarious one-liners are still so present in pop culture today. Whether you aspire to start your own business, get a promotion, or co-host the Golden Globes, there are several takeaways you can apply to your career in Mean Girls. So go ahead, pop that overtired copy into your DVD player one more time. It’s educational, after all.
1. Every clique – and company – has its own code of unwritten rules.
Nobody wants to show up at a Halloween party dressed as an “ex-wife” when everyone else is dressed as a sexy animal. And don’t wear sweatpants to work on a Monday… or ever.
2. Everyone has a talent.
Each member of a team brings unique skills to the table, some of which are more marketable than others.
3. Trash-talking your competitors or co-workers won’t improve your own performance.
Just like calling someone ugly won’t make you any prettier, wasting time tearing down your co-workers won’t make you a more productive employee. A better plan would be to vent your frustrations in a burn book, so long as you don’t photocopy it and distribute it around the office.
4. Be a team player.
Well, I mean you wouldn’t buy a skirt without asking your friends first if it looks good on you.
5. Don’t let the haters stop you from doin’ your thang.
No explanation necessary.
- Mean Girls, 10 years on: the fashion lessons in pictures (theguardian.com)
- Revisiting ‘Mean Girls’ with Rosalind Wiseman (thewire.com)